Thursday, February 5, 2009

For Foodies on the Go

When I moved to Portland from California, I was shocked at the popularity of the food cart. In California there is an affectionate term for these carts and that term alone is enough to keep most hungry breakfast and lunch seekers well away from these carts!

However, when my mom came to visit me in Portland, we stopped and asked a man on the street if he knew of a good place to visit for lunch. He pointed to a group of food carts about a half a block away and said that we could choose from American, Thai or Mexican cuisine and that all were exceptional. I decided right then and there that I would conquer my fear of the food cart and put this mans suggestion to the test. My heart was pounding with anticipation and caution as I requested two orders of pad Thai and a couple bottles of water. When our food was ready, my mother and I took a seat at a little table near by and prepared for our first food cart dining experience. After a few bites, I realized that maybe Portland is on to something with this food cart thing. My food was not the greasy, under/overcooked, over sauced disaster I had been expecting. It was in fact, very much the opposite. The medium egg noodles were cooked to perfection and mixed with just the right combination of egg, bean sprouts, onions and peanut sauce. All the flavors in the dish blended perfectly to create a meal that I would have thought you could only get in an upscale, sit down Thai restaurant. I found myself enjoying the food so much that I happily conversed with my mom while scarfing down what must have been a solid pound of noodles. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the only complication with my first food cart dining experience was that of having to walk around on a too full belly from not being able to stop eating when I really should have. I was amazed that we had both been treated to a delectable feast for less than $10.00!

Since my first experience with food cart dining, I have visited other local carts when taking a lunch break or indulging in a day of shopping. I have yet to be disappointed. There is a burrito cart on NW 13th where the ingredients are fresh and they offer a wide range of toppings, salsas and vegetarian options. There is a Benito cart on SW 9th that offers authentic perfectly cooked and seasoned Japanese cuisine at an extremely reasonable price.

So, if there are any skeptics out there that have never been exposed to food cart dining, I urge that you open your mind to it here in Portland! With portions usually large enough to serve as lunch and dinner, prices usually around $5.00 and quick and friendly service, what have you got to lose but your skepticism? Follow the below link to find locations, descriptions and reviews of Portland food carts!

http://foodcartsportland.com/

No comments: